Tuesday, 24 February 2015

Not Much Going On

Well pups, not much has really happened since my last blog entry.  Mom just looked at that entry and tried to count the quills in that one picture.  She thinks her and dad removed between 35-40 from me that day and the vets removed another two dozen or so when I got to them.  I was on pain medication for a few days after the quill removal and it upset my stomach.  Basically I just laid around and felt sorry for myself.
So bored!

It has also been cold here!  This weekend was especially brutal!
COLD! 
The outside temperature is -35.9C and with the windchill it was -43C.  That is cold weather you use Celsius or Fahrenheit!

Now you would think with temperatures like that, my river would be freezing over again.  I mean really, -35C!  Anything would freeze solid in those temperatures, right!
My River on a -35 C morning
As you can see, there is still open water and if you look close, you can actually see steam rising from the river.  This has been such an odd winter and usually the river is frozen over, but not this year.  Last year, dad and I would take walks across the river, but there is no chance we are doing that this winter!

We got more snow this weekend and I think that is wonderful.  I just love snow and say "bring it on" to more snow.  The peeps are not so thrilled about it.  Oh and I think you should check out my friend Charlie's blog.  You see, my friend Charlie also got snow this weekend!  Big deal you say!  Well Charlie lives in Australia!  You know, the land down under!  Check it out!

Mom has been very careful when she takes me for walks since the porcupine incident.  We don't want another return trip to the emergency vet.  She heard on the internet about one friend of a friend, who in the last 3 years for her 2 dogs, has spent over $8,000 on quill removal.  That is an ouch in more ways than one!  Mom says I am in no way to try and meet or beat this dubious honor.

Like I said, mom is being very careful when I am out.  Yesterday I had a pawsome time running in the orchard next door, digging in the snow and eating the snow.  We saw absolutely no tracks of any kind and we had an awesome outing.  As I was burying my head in the snow and eating it, I started rubbing my paw in my mouth.  Now mom didn't think too much about that.  Just thought I was eating too much snow, so we headed home.  I kept pawing my mouth, so mom pried my mouth open.  Was she surprised.
Mom found this in my tongue!
Clearly porcupines must shed, because neither one of us saw any!  Mom pulled it out quickly and then gave me a hug and then a treat.

Later that night, we again went out for a walk and mom decided to put me on my leash because it was getting darker and she likes to keep tabs on me.  As we are walking we see a porcupine in the orchard crawling up one of the buffaloberry trees.  This morning we saw a porcupine in a tree by the river and another in the orchard.  Mom would just like to ask all pointy creatures that want to hurt me to just leave us alone!  Ok, rant over, BOL!

So right now I am chilling in the house because it is again snowing outside.  Mom has again lectured me on staying away from the porcupines and not trying to get revenge on them if I see another one.  As you can see from the picture below, I am listening very attentively to her!
You talking to me!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, Buddy! That's a bit too many spikey beasts fur sure! Glad you are over the ouchies...well, apart from the one your tongue fond!

    We had a temp on the morning of Feb 20 of -20F, that's about -30C or so, Brrr!
    Our river has lots of ice, but there too are some open areas, weird huh?

    Wasn't Charlie's 'snow' fun?? BOL!

    You are a good listener, Buddy.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, Freckles, my tongue found another quill yesterday! All I was doing was eating snow. And today there are two more porcupines in our yard. Would you pokey critters please just go away!

      It was -34C here this morning before you added in the windchill. Should be warmer this weekend, hopefully.

      Thank you, I am an awesome listener!

      Delete
  2. Crummy porcupines. I think they are leaving little traps of quills around your place trying to get back at you!

    We had -26 at our cabin. brrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are setting traps, because I found another one!

      Hope it warms up at your place soon!

      Delete
  3. Yikes! Whut is the deal with all those porky pines round yur place? Wunner how yur folks can discourage them frum comin round. Idunno.
    Stay safe, stay warm. Spring is on the way. Sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno, Zoe, those porky dudes just seem to like it here! Sure wish they would leave! You stay warm too!

      Delete
  4. OMD, dat are some insane cold ya gots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Whitley, that is boot and jacket weather for sure!

      Delete
  5. Yikeses, Buddy! Stay 'way fwum dat wiver an' weal gud werk wissenin' tu yur Mom!

    Hey! If yu r DAT boreded, Buddy, yu mite wanna tackle dat mountain ob waundwy ahind yu dere in da furst pichur. BOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zaidie, I am staying away from the river and yawning whenever mom talks to me!

      BOL, Zaidie, my servant hadn't hung up the clothes yet. I'll tell her to get to work sooner next time.

      Delete
  6. Crikey Buddy ...... how cold is that?? -35.9C and it's only 16.9C INSIDE?? 16.9C is awful cold. Mum would need a coat on inside if it was that cold. AND keep away from those porcupine blokes, aye?? I'm sure glad we don't have 'em here cause there's no way I'd leave 'em alone. They look awful. You got one of those in your TONGUE??? OUCH!!!!!!!! Betta stay on your lead outside for a while, aye?? How funny's Zaidie???? Who'd even notice that basket of ironing in that picture? Zaidie would obviously!! Too funny!!
    My snow was GREAT, aye??????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't worry Charlie! Yeah the thing said 16.9 C for the inside temp, but the gauge is close to a cold window, so also records the inside temperature lower than it really is.

      Your snow was pawsome, Charlie. I hope you had fun in it!

      Delete
  7. OMD another quill???? Sheesh! You have bad luck with those!!!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, and I had one the next day too. Those pokey critters are out to get me!

      Delete