Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Please Be Careful Out There

It has continued being very mild up here in the Great White North.  We have even had temperatures close to or even above freezing for the last week.  Now we have had some very cold days, but then it has warmed up in between the cold snaps.  I think I have said before that in previous winter's people have driven across my river on the ice road as a short cut.  Well this year we just haven't had enough days of continuous cold, but still people were driving across the river at the ferry crossings. 
Looking at my river, January 20, 2015

With the warmer weather we have had last week, the ice started to thin.  Then water was released from the dam and this increased the flow of the river under the ice.  This led to the ice getting really thin and warnings went out to stay away from the ferry crossings because of the thin ice.

Another view of my river, January 20, 2015

Of course there are always those people that still want to take the short cut across the river even when the conditions are not ideal. 

This happened last Friday

This person is very lucky to still be here.

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THE RIVER EVERYONE!

I have been on the search for the critter responsible for this track!
Porcupine track
Mom took this picture of the porcupine track after I had a close encounter with it.  Mom and I were out walking last Friday and I was having a great old time running ahead of her and playing in the snow.  Mom saw me in the distance "dancing" around something and she thought I had caught a mouse.  When she got closer she realized I was dancing around a porcupine.  "Look what I found mom", I said, and she totally freaked out on me.  I was close enough to sniff it, and then I pawed it.  Then mom shrieked at me to come.  I hesitated, but figured I needed to stop her shrieking, so I went to her.  How I managed to get only one quill in the bottom of foot is still a mystery to mom.  After mom safely got me in the house, she went back out with the camera to try and get a close up of the critter but could only find its tracks.  She followed them across the road and through the ditch and then she saw it.  Now had she not managed to get her jacket caught on the barbed wire fence she was trying to get through, she would have had a pawsome picture of the critter, but sadly, no close up this time.

This morning is still mild and snowing lightly.  Mom and I took a nice walk in the field.

Buddy - 1; Deer Mouse - 0
How is the weather where you pups are?  Is anyone else having above average temperatures for the month of January?    Apparently we will start to get more seasonable weather next week.

Until next time, stay safe everyone!

20 comments:

  1. Rivers are jus too skeery. That woman is Very lucky to be alive!
    An Buddy! Please stay away frum the porky pines. They are not good to sniff an try to make furiends with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Zoe, that woman is very lucky to be here. Signs were up warning of the dangers and why she still continued across the river is beyond us.

      Ok, I will try to stay away from the porcupines, but they look so interesting and they seem nice, BOL!

      Delete
  2. We are having above average temps right now too and even warmer next week. That woman was very lucky she made it out alive! And Buddy you are also lucky not to have a nose full of quills! Be careful with that porcupine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, KJ, mom says I am also lucky I don't have a nose full of quills. You should have heard mom scream. I was a good boy and did listen though!

      The above average temperatures continue and the river is really flowing in spots. You are are right. That woman is very lucky!

      Delete
  3. Crikey Buddy ...... I LOVE your pictures!!! That old shed one is so beautiful, aye?? We've got above average temperatures at our house. We're on holidays but Mum rang home last night and my two legged sister said it was almost 40C yesterday. That's awful hot, aye?? Those porcupine blokes sound like good things to steer clear of!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie! You love your pictures as well. Did you notice on that old shed that the sign says "No Hunting" and mom indicated I had a caught a deer mouse right there. BOL. Mom thought it was a humorous picture. It is so easy to amuse her!

      Delete
  4. Glad ya didn't get even more quills from dat porcupine.

    It are warmer dan normal here - da last couple days wuz 70F and we hasn't really had any snow (a lil sprinkling in November wuz all).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Whitley, I was lucky it was only one quill. Those things do hurt!

      Still above average temperatures here as well.

      Delete
  5. Yikeses, Buddy! Dose porkypine guys can be weal mean an' nastee wif dere quills! Yu gotta watch it wif dem! Yeah, dat woman r WEAL lucky! OMC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Zaidie, stay away from those porkypines. Sigh! We haven't seen him in a few days, so hopefully he has moved along.

      That lady was lucky!

      Delete
  6. People are not so smart when they walk on thin ice like that! UGH!
    We are FREEZING cold here!!!!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Huskies, driving on ice that was that thin was not smart. And signs were up warning of the danger.

      We still have above average temperatures here. Please send some of your cold temperatures our way!

      Delete
  7. Oh-oh...you nearly got into trouble with the prickly dude...I am glad you listened..um...I would have been naughty and stupid and not listened....and of course then yu know what would be the next scene...

    Lady, sheesh, what was she thinking. Good thing she's alive to talk about it, and warn others I hope!

    We are sort of around normal temps here, maybe on the warmer side of January temps, in the upper 20's with some snow and last night we even had freezing rain, oops, slippery out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Freckles, I was lucky it was only one quill and mom simply can't explain how lucky I was. I was actually sniffing the porcupine, I was that close. How it didn't swing its tail and hit me surprises mom!

      Yeah, we don't know what that lady was thinking. Signs were up warning to stay away, and open water was clearly visible. Why she continued on her way is hard to explain and her story seems to be changing everyday.

      Delete
  8. It's in the 20s here, and will probably stay that way for a few weeks. This is typical January weather here. We'll probably have a warm snap and then blizzards.

    We've never seen a porcupine. Be careful Buddy and Mom too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still unseasonably warm here. Sure hope you don't get any blizzards.

      Believe me, you don't want to encounter a porcupine. They are kinda cute though!

      Delete
  9. Yikes,,,thin ice and porcupines. Double trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The porcupine has moved on and the river is still flowing. Very strange for January up here!

      Delete
  10. Porcupines are nasty, we ran over one in Canada and the quills were stuck in our 10 ply tires, be careful. Thank you so much for your kind words left on my blog during Nellie's health series you made my day with stopping by. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, porcupines are nasty. My late fursis Abby had to be rushed to the emergency vet to have many, many quills removed. It was not pleasant. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete