Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Happy New Year Everyone

I hope everyone had a pawsome Christmas and is now enjoying the New Year!  How was everyone's Christmas?  Did you get lots of treats or maybe even some table scraps?

My mom and her brother had a good visit with grammy in the care home and they arrived back to my place on Christmas Eve.  Now the weather up to Christmas had been especially mild and humid and then things started to cool down significantly around Christmas.  All that humidity and then coolness caused some cool looking hoar frost on absolutely everything.  I am borrowing the next two pictures from our power companies Twitter feed. 
Frost on power line
Looks pretty doesn't it?  Well if you get enough frost on the power lines, and the electrical structures bad things happen.
Damaged electrical structure due to heavy frost
Damaged electrical structures means lots and LOTS, have I mentioned LOTS of power outages over several days!  Oy vey!  Try cooking a meal when the power keeps going out.  Sometimes the power just stayed out for several hours, and then when you thought you had it back, out it would again.  As frustrating as this was over Christmas for a good portion of our province, we are thankful for the electrical workers that worked in the very frigid conditions to deice the electrical wires and restore power to everyone.

Despite all the power outages, I was one happy pup to have mom home on December 24th!
Mommy and Me, Christmas Eve 2014

Here I am proving that I am in fact an 82 pound lab dog!  BOL!

Despite the power outages the peeps did have a good Christmas meal.  They got creative when it came to making the stuffing.
Waffled Stuffing!
The waffled stuffing was very good.  I wouldn't know as I didn't get any!  But apparently the only thing they would change is the amount of butter the recipe calls for.  They thought it was way too much!  Don't worry pups, I did get something special for Christmas dinner!  A hunter friend of the peeps has given me two big boxes of deer bones, and I got a nice deer rib to gnaw on for Christmas. Yeah me!

So after everyone had a pawsome meal, mom's brother got sick.  Poor guy!  He was only gonna stay a few days and due to illness, did not feel well enough to leave until January 1.  Before uncle left, the momma also succumbed to the flu, the only good thing about this is neither one of them gained any weight over Christmas!  In fact, uncle lost around 7 pounds!   We still have a freezer full of goodies if anyone is interested.

As uncle was recuperating and mom was starting to get sick, uncle took me for a walk one day.  During our walk I decided it would be fun to run over the river bank.  Just then mom decided to step out on the deck and talk to uncle and then uncle saw me.  I was running on the ice on the river chasing a coyote and there was still open water on the river!  Mom panicked and quickly called for dad.  Dad got on his jacket and boots and hurried outside while uncle raced down the river bank towards to the river.  By the time dad got outside, he heard uncle telling me I was a bad boy and he was putting my leash on me.
River with open water taken around Christmas 2014
Mom was so relieved when uncle and I came into the house that she hugged uncle.  Uncle turned  to me and said, "See what a bad doggie you are?  You made your momma hug her brother!" BOL!  I was taken outside on a leash after that. 
Closer view of open water and ice chunks on the river.  Christmas 2014

The river should now be frozen, or at least we hope so.  We have been under an "Extreme Cold Warning" for the last few days.  Calculating in the windchill one day last weekend, the temperature was -45 C or -49 F for my American friends.  Mom and I took a short, quick walk that morning outside.
Mom and I enjoying -45 C weather!
Even I was lifting up my paws when the temperature was that cold.  Please remember to bring your pets inside when it is that cold.  If it is too cold for you, it is also too cold for them.

Well all the power outages caused the confuser to get very confused so I know I have a lot of catching up to do with the blogs.

Once again I would like to wish everyone the very best for the New Year!  Take care all!

20 comments:

  1. Dat are crazy cold!

    Too cold for my momma is anything below 60F. She are a warm weather girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right, Whitley! That is crazy cold! Stay warm my friend! We love seeing you in your new clothes!

      Delete
  2. OMD, Buddy! Whut a howliday seasun yu an' yur pawents habbed! It r weal cold heer, tu, bud nod dat cold...minus 25 degwees celsius r da forecast low fur dis nite! Keep warm an' outta da river!!! OMD, Buddy. I gess it r fwozen now, bud r I so gwad yur unkle saved yu! Sowwy yur Mom an' hur bwofur gedded sick, bud we r gwad dem sawed dere Mom. Habby Nu Yeerz tu yu an' yur fambly, Buddy! Yu make a pawsum wap dog, dood! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zaidie! Momma and uncle are both nearly back to normal, whatever their normal is, BOL! Mom is just glad I came back to uncle when he yelled at me. I do make a pawsome lap dog, don't I?

      Delete
  3. Yikes Buddy! Stay Offa the River! Too skeery!
    But yu did have a good Christmas time. Too bad the sickies came an got yur Uncle an Momma. That happened one year round here, furst Daddy (he brot it home frum his boss) then Sissor, then Brother an finally Mommy. It is no fun havin the sickies anytime but it is specially pathetic round the holidays.
    That is a great piccie of yu an yur Momma "enjoyin" the my-nass degree weather!
    Yur folks go wacky over wafflin stuff! Looks good!

    Have a super duper new year Buddy an fam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, ok, I will stay off the river, but I am pretty sure it is frozen now! If you look close at the picture of me and momma in the my-nass weather, you will see ice on momma's eye lashes, BOL!

      Delete
    2. Ice!! I thot she got sum fancy false lashes fur Christmas, jus fur wearin on yur walks. Along with those tennis rackets.
      Bol!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, Zoe, you should see her when her eye lashes start to melt, BOL! I think it is hilarious. Is it me, or do you also think mom looks kinda like a thug in that outfit?

      Delete
    4. Bol Buddy! A thug! Must be the face mask deal, huh? Thugs can't run very good in their baggy hangin down pants, let alone while wearin snowshoes. So it's gotta be the face mask.

      Delete
  4. Crikey Buddy ...... it's been an exciting time at your house, aye??? Except for the flu and you nearly getting killed in the freezing river of course. Bad luck you didn't get any of that waffle stuffing. It sure looks GOOD, aye?? We are still lovin' the pics of your river but crikey, mate ..... what's your Mom doing with tennis rackets on her feet?? They won't keep her feet warm in the cold. They're for playin' tennis, mate!!
    Sure hope 2015 is a GREAT year for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BOL, tennis rackets, BOL! Those are momma's snowshoes. They allow her to walk on top of the snow instead of falling down into the snow banks! BOL, Charlie, you are funny!

      Delete
  5. BOL, Charlie, Tennis rackets indeed...BOL!

    Buddy, I am happy that the sickness has now deserted your den, UGH. Its trying to destroy the workers at growlmy's nursing home, but so far she herself is still healthy, Yeah!

    Glad your Momma and Uncle got to spend good time with your Grammy.

    And now we know what cold really looks like, BOL! And we think we are cold at -2F...

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seemed ill at grammy's care home also, Freckles. Sigh, that flu is really going around. I will take your -2 F temperature my friend. Stay warm!

      Delete
    2. My ghostwriter's nursing home if full of sick people right now, staff and patients! There's flu and pneumonia and stomach bugs and more. She's had to put in extra hours and can't wait till this all goes away!

      Delete
    3. We are thankful for people like your ghostwriter and growlmy that look after our loved ones when they are unable to look after themselves. The staff seems very caring where grammy is and we so appreciate that.

      Delete
  6. Wow! An we thought it was cold at three degrees! The wind chill was -27; Dad kept pointing that out. Be careful out there Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully by next week it should be around -5 C. I will wait and see. Even I am getting tired of the cold!

      Delete
  7. Oh Buddy you crazy pup!!! Thank dog you didn't fall through that ice!!!
    Love these photos!!!! It has been super cold here to and my huskies are lifting their paws up as well :(
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The river is really freezing strangely this year, but I will be careful! Hope it warms up for all soon!

      Delete