Sunday, 9 March 2014

Dangerous Wildlife

So this morning the momma takes me out early to do my usual morning constitutional.  I stop, sit down and look towards the garden and then I growl.  Mom quickly, and I mean quickly, snaps on my leash and then she sees a large object lumbering across the garden.

She literally has to drag me away and demands I do my business quickly.  Really pups, how could I do my business quickly when there was something interesting in my yard?  Eventually, I do my business but I am still very curious about what is in the garden.  The momma literally drags me into the house and then gets the camera and goes back outside.
Meet my little friend!
That is a pretty good sized porcupine don't you think?  Mom says I can't play with it, and I have to be on a leash when I am outside now.

Mom was working yesterday and a bunch of people told her about an owl that has been terrorizing the town that is close to where we live.  There is a Great Horned Owl hanging around the town.  On Tuesday, it killed one small dog,  and later in the week severely injured another and two more were slightly injured.  We haven't heard of any cat's being attacked but who knows for sure.  The town's people have called in a Conservation Officer to try and trap the owl and relocate it.  They realize it is looking for food, but it can look elsewhere than going after family pets.  Most people are now using pee pads for the small dogs.

We do see owls out where I live, but mom is hoping my size would deter them from trying to go after me. 

I have also developed a bad habit that mom would like me to break.  I like to eat stones.  Yup, I pooped out about 3 small ones this morning and a couple weeks ago I vomited 3 small ones.  I seem to only do this in winter and mom wonders if it is because I like to eat ice and the stones are cold, so I just swallow them.  No matter.  She says I have to quit.

Oh, and mom will be putting some recipes for doggie treats on an upcoming blog.  She is too lazy right now to get her cookbook and type everything in, but stay tuned and she will post some recipes.  Maybe now she can take the treats she has frozen out of the freezer, give me one and take a picture of them for you!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Yikes! Those porky pines are No good! Stay away frum that dood.
    That is sad 'bout that owl gettin the lil doggies and probly plenty o' kitty cats too. He needs to move on.
    No rush with the recipes, but Mommy's new Kitchenaid is posed to be here this week.
    *Zoe smiles sweetly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Conservation Officer was in the town yesterday and was unable to bait the owl to relocate it. He says it is nesting and that another owl must be close by. A bunch more Conservation Officers were coming today (Monday) and will look for the nest. People were told is is very important to keep your small pets on a leash and within your range of sight at all times.

      Mom is gathering up the recipes Zoe! Please be patient with the old girl!

      Delete
  2. Best to stay away from that prickly beast! How sad about the Owl killing the small dog & who know what else it has killed. Hope they catch it & relocate it far away! As for the stones, I hope that habit can be broken! I read once of a dog that had to have surgery because his whole stomach was filled with little rocks.
    Look forward to seeing some of your dog treat recipes. Want to start making more of my own for the dogs.

    Give Buddy a hug for me and have a great week!
    Teresa, KJ, Rain & Dozer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom read a story about a dog with his belly full of rocks too. I did not touch any rocks today on our walk! Mom is scary when she yells at you not to do something. Also did not see my porcupine today, but yesterday we saw 2 and a skunk!

      Delete
  3. I'd bark dat porky pine dude real gud if I hads da chance.

    Stones? Is you not gettin enuf to eat? I'd work on gettin some treats instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I growled at the porky pine. All he did was curl up in a ball with all his quills sticking up! I left the stones alone today! Mom gave me a nice deer bone to gnaw on!

      Delete
  4. Fair dinkum Buddy ... You gone a bit soft in the head, Mate? Stop with the stone eating, aye? That can't be good for you! I had a mate once who kept eating other blokes poop and he ended up with one of those cage things around his mouth. You wouldn't want that to happen, steer clear of the stones, aye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey, Charlie! I just like to play with rocks! I know I shouldn't and today I left them alone!

      Delete
    2. Wheeeeeeew!!!!!!! I'm so glad to hear that ....

      Delete
  5. That is a pretty fair size porcupine isn't it?! wow!
    It is good your mommy keeps you on a leash around that thing! You dont wanna get stuck with one of those quills!!! OUCH!!!! I had a horse when I was younger and one day he came from the field and had a nose full of quills and they are barbed so once they in, they are not easy to get out! Be careful!!

    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, momma knows all about porcupines being bad for us pups. My angel sisfur, Abby, tangled with a porcupine on two separate occasions. The second time resulted in an overnight stay at the emergency vet so they could do surgery the next morning. Best to stay far away from those prickly fellas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crikey ..... those porcupine blokes sound mighty mean. I thought they looked liked our echidnas and our echidnas are pretty harmless. They don't have no barbs in their quills and the quills don't come out. They are VERY cute even if they aren't cuddly. I'll try and sniff one out and put a picture of one on my blog. Glad we don't have those porcy blokes hanging around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only weapon the porcupine has is its quills. They are barbed and keep working there way into the victims skin. Apparently my angel sisfur had between 60-80 quills in her when she tangled with the porcupine. She was sore for several weeks after that encounter and was on antibiotics and painkillers for a while. I would like to see a picture of the echidnas! Are they like a hedgehog?

      Delete
  8. Yikes! I have not evfur seen a real live porcupine like you get to see...and nevfur touch, OK??
    Growlmy not either, though she has seen some road killed ones ears ago:(

    And you need to not eat rocks, you might break a tooth...I still didn't tell how I broke mine, and of course its my secret, BOL!

    Our snows melted a lot today! 50F!! But more snow coming again, and cold too...sheesh, today was teasing us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Freckles, this guy was pretty big. That is why mom didn't want me to tangle with him. We are sending you lots of positive thoughts for tomorrow when you see the dogtur about your toofer! Our snow was melting today also!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Buddy.
      We are once again under a winter storm watch...sigh...

      Delete